The Bar Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry has suspended 5970 advocates over non-payment of subscription dues meant for the Advocates’ Welfare Fund.

Bar Council Suspends 5970 Lawyers

Advocates' Welfare Fund Act was enacted in 2001 for the constitution of a welfare fund for the benefit of advocates. Rule 40 of Chapter 2, Part VI of Bar Council of India Rules mandates every advocate to pay to the State Bar Council a prescribed sum every year towards the fund. 20% of the amount collected is to be remitted to the BCI every month. The remaining 80% is to be used by the State Bar Council.

If the advocate does not pay the amount or fails to show sufficient cause the State Bar Council holds the right of suspending the right of the advocate to practice.

Accordingly, the latest notification has now suspended over 5000 advocates said to have failed in clearing their dues, despite notice.

The notification issued by BAR Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry states that

"It is hereby informed that the Advocates Welfare Fund (BCI) committee has suspended the right of practice of 5970 Advocates in any court, Tribunal or other authority till the payment of subscription under Rule 40, Part VI Chapter II of the Bar Council of India Rules vide resolution No, 242/2019 dated 21.03.2019."

Related legal Info: